Overview
- The Electoral Commission of Zambia suspended counting on Friday after reports of targeted attacks on poll staff and alleged theft of marked ballots, then said later that day the security threat had been contained and resumed the count.
- Opposition leader Brian Mundubile declared victory based on his party’s parallel voter tabulation and alleged removal of result forms and military presence at some tally centres, claims the commission has not verified.
- The ECZ has released partial official results showing incumbent Hakainde Hichilema leading in constituencies counted so far, but the commission stresses those figures are provisional as it completes verification.
- Regional and international observers, including SADC and the EU, reported incidents of intimidation and at least one fatality and warned that the hours-long suspension and missing-ballot reports risk damaging the election’s credibility.
- Security agencies have made several arrests linked to election-day incidents and the interior ministry says investigations are ongoing, while the final official result remains pending and expected after ECZ verification.