Overview
- A UFC fighter, Josh Hokit, told the crowd at a White House-hosted Freedom 250 event last month that “Michelle Obama is a man,” a false remark that drew wide online and media criticism.
- Vice President JD Vance told Joe Rogan on Wednesday that the public reaction was “totally disproportionate,” saying people had “lost their minds” and that his communications team prepped him for questions about the episode.
- Hokit has refused to apologize, defended the line as meant to be a compliment and framed it as an exercise of free speech in subsequent interviews.
- UFC president Dana White publicly called the comment “nasty and false,” but the organization has not announced formal discipline, and White House communications director Steven Cheung declined to condemn the remark while praising Hokit’s performance.
- The dispute has highlighted partisan and media splits, raised questions about hosting combative entertainment on presidential grounds, and forced political communications teams to weigh optics, accountability and the limits of tolerated provocation.