Particle.news
Download on the App Store

USDA Freezes $129 Million in Minnesota SNAP Funds as GOP Pursues Walz Impeachment

Minnesota’s attorney general plans a court challenge to restore benefits, citing ongoing prosecutions and contested loss estimates.

Overview

  • Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins halted roughly $129 million for Minnesota and Minneapolis, giving 30 days for “payment justifications” tied to SNAP and other USDA programs.
  • Attorney General Keith Ellison said he will sue to block the freeze; about 440,000 Minnesotans use SNAP, with the next benefits set for February 4.
  • Republican state legislators drafted articles of impeachment alleging oversight failures, with plans to introduce them when the Legislature returns in February.
  • House Majority Whip Tom Emmer called for Gov. Tim Walz to resign and said he hopes Walz “leaves office in cuffs”; Walz has refused to resign after exiting the reelection race.
  • Walz praised U.S. Attorney Joe Thompson following reports Thompson resigned, a reversal from last week when Walz attacked him over a fraud estimate prosecutors say could reach $9 billion.