Overview
- A federal officer shot a Venezuelan man in the leg during a Minneapolis traffic-stop operation on Wednesday, with DHS saying the officer fired a defensive shot after being attacked with a shovel and broom handle.
- Authorities said the man’s injury was non-life-threatening, two additional suspects were taken into custody, and both the officer and the wounded man were hospitalized.
- Protesters clashed with masked federal agents overnight as chemical irritants were used near the scene; Mayor Jacob Frey called the situation unsustainable and noted roughly 3,000 federal agents in the area versus about 600 city officers.
- President Donald Trump warned he could invoke the Insurrection Act to deploy troops, while Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison said he would challenge such a move in court.
- DHS and Secretary Kristi Noem signaled operations would not be withdrawn, as legal fights continue following last week’s killing of Renee Nicole Good by ICE agent Jonathan Ross and a judge’s ruling allowing sweeps to continue for now.