Particle.news
Download on the App Store

Trump Rebukes NATO and Weighs Troop Shifts After Rutte’s Washington Visit

The White House’s public reproach signals the use of U.S. troop posture as leverage over wavering allies.

Overview

  • Trump, who met NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte at the White House Wednesday, accused the alliance of failing the U.S. during the Iran war and has again threatened to leave.
  • Following Wednesday’s meeting, Rutte called the talks very frank and told CNN that a large majority of European members kept the promises they made to the alliance.
  • The Wall Street Journal reported the administration is considering pulling U.S. forces from countries seen as unsupportive in the Iran campaign and redeploying them to more cooperative states.
  • TF1 said Spain and Germany could face cuts and that Poland, Romania, Lithuania, and Greece could receive more troops, while a base closure in Europe is among options still in early discussion.
  • The rift grew out of the Iran conflict and U.S. calls to help secure the Strait of Hormuz, even as a brief cease-fire took hold this week and allies pointed to recent defense-spending pledges pressed at last year’s Hague summit.