Particle.news
Download on the App Store

Tijuana Halts Santa Fe Cemetery Plan, Prioritizes Panteón 14 Expansion

Officials blame traffic constraints in Santa Fe, planning exhumations once the Valle Redondo expansion is finished.

Overview

  • Residents marched to City Hall on Friday to deliver a petition seeking permanent suspension of the Santa Fe project and demanding road upgrades, a new delegation office, and a hospital.
  • The city confirmed it will not advance the Panteón Municipal No. 15 site for now, shifting near-term capacity efforts to expanding Panteón 14 in Valle Redondo.
  • Councilor Pablo Yáñez said 10 to 15 bodies were buried irregularly at the Santa Fe plot and will be exhumed and transferred to Panteón 14 after its expansion is completed.
  • Mayor Ismael Burgueño noted only a portion of the Santa Fe parcel had been contemplated for burial use and highlighted work to connect Bulevar Banderas to the Tijuana–Playas de Rosarito toll road, along with legal steps on adjacent land by Panteón 14.
  • Councilor Arturo Aguirre said the city is evaluating donated parcels or purchasing a different site to meet demand driven by cemetery saturation that accelerated during the pandemic and rapid population growth.