Particle.news
Download on the App Store

Suspected Explosive Found During Firearms Search in Christchurch

An exclusion zone of about 100 metres forced local evacuations as ordnance experts worked to make the device safe.

Overview

  • Officers conducting a firearms search at a Suffolk Avenue address discovered a suspected explosive on Monday, June 15, prompting an immediate police response and cordons.
  • An Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team and ambulance attended the scene while residents within the exclusion zone were told to evacuate for safety.
  • A man was arrested on suspicion of firearms offences and initially held in custody; Dorset Police later said two more people were arrested as inquiries continued.
  • By the following day Dorset Police reported the suspected device had been removed and was being made safe, though the cordon and investigation remained in place.
  • Local people faced overnight displacement, Twynham Primary School stayed open with adjusted pick-up plans, and officials said updates would follow once the cordon is lifted.