Overview
- Steve Clarke told his squad he was stepping down at an emotional meeting in Charlotte on Saturday night after Scotland failed to reach the World Cup knockout stages.
- Clarke said he had privately decided he would quit if Scotland did not progress and that his four‑year contract signed a month earlier had been meant to reassure players rather than guarantee he would stay.
- SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell confirmed applications have already arrived and said the association will consider foreign candidates as it conducts a wide recruitment process.
- Pundits and former players split in reaction with several voices defending Clarke’s achievements while columnists and parts of the media questioned the timing and permanence of his departure.
- The incoming coach inherits an ageing core who have delivered three major qualifications but face gaps in goalkeeping, centre‑back and forward depth and a shortage of Scottish players aged about 22–26 playing regular first‑team football.