Particle.news
Download on the App Store

RTL+ to Edit 'Bad Boyfriends' After Uncontextualized Femicide Reference

RTL+ issued an apology promising edits to add context to the footage to protect the privacy of people shown.

Overview

  • Public outrage grew after a line in episode four, in which contestant Mladen “Maki” Doric said a woman in images had been “killed by her boyfriend,” was streamed without trigger warnings or editorial framing.
  • The scene followed Michelle Mišić finding nude photos and a video of another woman on Maki’s phone and his later verbal attacks on Michelle, which intensified criticism of the show’s editorial choices.
  • RTL+ posted an Instagram statement on Tuesday saying it had reviewed episode four and the remaining episodes and would adapt the already aired episode and future installments.
  • The streamer said it had removed the disputed lines from the available edit, began displaying a statement before episode four, and asked viewers to avoid speculation to protect real people’s privacy.
  • Viewers and commentators say the changes are overdue because many people already saw the original material, and the episode sparks renewed questions about how reality shows handle sensitive topics and the real-life harm unflagged content can cause.