Overview
- The Pentagon, which announced Tuesday it cut Europe-based combat brigades from four to three, said the roughly 4,000-soldier reduction delayed the planned rotation to Poland.
- Vice President JD Vance said the Poland deployment is delayed rather than canceled and that no final decision has been made on where those troops will go.
- NATO’s top commander, Gen. Alexus G. Grynkewich, said the changes do not affect the alliance’s defense plans or its ability to carry them out.
- Earlier this month the Defense Department said about 5,000 troops will leave Germany over the next six to twelve months, equal to roughly 15 percent of the 36,000 stationed there.
- The Pentagon said the United States will keep a strong presence in Poland as it reviews Europe’s force layout, a stance that aligns with President Trump’s push for higher European defense spending after the 2025 Hague pledge.