Overview
- A mob of more than 100 people attacked two NGO workers near Kandulguda in Rayagada on June 16, wrongly accusing them of child lifting and allegedly disrobing and molesting a 22-year-old woman.
- The Odisha State Commission for Women recorded the survivor’s statement by video conferencing on June 22 and the chairperson said she assured the victim that culprits will be arrested.
- The National Commission for Women took suo motu cognisance and has formally asked the Odisha DGP for an action taken report within seven days covering the FIR, sections invoked under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita 2023, arrests and investigation status.
- Odisha Police have arrested 21 people so far, said they will review video and circumstantial evidence and expect more arrests, and held a flag march to restore calm while urging residents not to spread unverified rumours.
- The Crime Against Women & Children Wing of the Crime Branch-CID is monitoring the probe, and commissions have pressed police to report on medical care, counselling, safety steps for field workers and measures to prevent future rumour-driven vigilantism.