Particle.news
Download on the App Store

NZ Rugby Rules Out Mo’unga for July Tests and South Africa Tour

NZ Rugby says the policy protects local competitions by keeping top players at home.

Overview

  • NZ Rugby CEO Steve Lancaster, speaking Saturday, said no exemption had been sought for Richie Mo’unga and that new coach Dave Rennie had not asked for a policy change.
  • The selection rule requires players based overseas to first play in New Zealand’s National Provincial Championship before they can be picked for the All Blacks.
  • Because Mo’unga will not feature in the NPC until later this year, he will miss the July Nations Championship fixtures and the tour to South Africa.
  • Lancaster noted Mo’unga could be considered later in 2026 once he is playing in New Zealand or as an injury replacement if a vacancy arises.
  • Mo’unga has signed an 18‑month deal to return to Canterbury and the Crusaders after his stint in Japan, and some analysts say his early absence opens chances for rising options such as Ruben Love.