Overview
- President Trump ordered a substantial reduction in U.S. participation in the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises earlier this week, shortening the command‑post drills and cancelling some field maneuvers to create space for diplomacy.
- North Korea responded by launching roughly 10–12 short‑range ballistic missiles from the Pyongyang area into the Sea of Japan on Thursday, a move South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff detected and publicly confirmed.
- Seoul, Washington and Tokyo held urgent phone consultations on Friday to share intelligence and discuss responses while U.S. Indo‑Pacific Command said the launches posed no immediate threat to U.S. territory or allies.
- Pyongyang publicly rebuffed the U.S. gesture through Kim Yo Jong, who said reduced drills did not change their ‘provocative’ nature and denied any verified leader‑level contact, signalling that North Korea seeks larger concessions before talks resume.
- The episode has raised immediate questions about alliance readiness and credibility, could complicate Seoul’s push for wartime operational control changes, and underscores how personal diplomacy has so far failed to halt North Korea’s missile build‑up.