Particle.news
Download on the App Store

NATO Chief Says No More Near-Term U.S. Cuts After Poland Rotation Paused

The message signals a gradual shift toward greater European responsibility for conventional defense.

Overview

  • Gen. Alexus Grynkewich, speaking Tuesday in Brussels, said the planned pullout of 5,000 U.S. troops would not hinder NATO defense plans and he does not expect further near-term drawdowns.
  • The White House recast the halted Poland armored brigade rotation as a delay, and the Pentagon said the pause reflects a move to reduce Europe’s brigade combat teams from four to three.
  • The canceled rotation involves roughly 4,000 soldiers from the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, with another about 1,000 tied to a long-range fires unit for Germany, and U.S. officials said some troops and 1,700 pieces of equipment had already reached Europe.
  • Poland sent senior defense officials to Washington to seek explanations and assurances, stressing its role as a top NATO spender and its aim to keep roughly 10,000 U.S. troops rotating through the country.
  • NATO leaders asked Grynkewich to line up European replacements for any lost capabilities, and Baltic officials said planned deployments could feel short-term ripple effects until forces are reassigned.