Overview
- Natalie Maines posted the Instagram message on May 18, pairing a photo of President Trump with images from the January 6 attack and a caption that accused him of 'using your gas money to pay the insurrectionists.'
- The post included hashtags referencing the Epstein files, democracy and free speech, and Maines said an earlier similar post had been removed and urged followers to repost to preserve the message.
- Coverage noted the timing matched reports that the administration created a roughly $1.776 billion fund to compensate people who claim they were victims of 'lawfare' or 'weaponization,' a pool reporters said could be relevant to some January 6 defendants.
- The White House, through spokesperson David Ingle, issued a blunt public rebuke calling Maines 'a despicable nobody,' while outlets reported that President Trump himself had not publicly responded.
- Reactions split sharply online and in the press with some celebrities backing Maines, conservative outlets condemning her language, and several outlets recalling her 2003 controversy to show how entertainers' political speech can reshape careers and public debate.