Particle.news
Download on the App Store

Mistrial Declared in Stanford Protest Vandalism Case After Jury Deadlocks

Prosecutors will seek a retrial, with a Feb. 25 hearing scheduled to set a new date.

Overview

  • Jurors told Judge Hanley Chew they were hopelessly deadlocked, splitting 9–3 for conviction on felony vandalism and 8–4 on felony conspiracy to trespass.
  • Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen said he will retry the case, calling it property destruction that caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.
  • The trial involved five current or former students — Hunter Taylor-Black, Maya Burke, Germán González, Taylor McCann and Amy Zhai — charged in connection with the June 5, 2024 sit-in at the Stanford president’s office.
  • Prosecutors highlighted encrypted Signal messages and alleged preparations to stay in the office, while defense attorneys argued the evidence failed to prove intent for prolonged occupation or lasting damage.
  • Stanford initially cited $700,000 in damage, with court filings later attributing about $300,000 to the protesters; several other defendants previously accepted plea or diversion agreements, and one cooperated with prosecutors.