Overview
- U.S. District Judge Michael Fitzgerald ruled Thursday that prosecutors may introduce Lil Durk’s 2021 song “Pissed Me Off” and its music video as evidence in the federal murder-for-hire case.
- Prosecutors say the track is a “call to arms” showing Durk’s intent to avenge the 2020 killing of King Von and point to lyrics they say refer to funding a gun and a car and to a “slide” later linked to the 2022 Los Angeles attack.
- Durk’s defense counters that the song is a memoriam for several people including his slain brother and argues admitting it would unfairly prejudice jurors and requires more background on when and why the song was recorded.
- The trial moves forward with jury selection scheduled to start on Aug. 20 and opening statements possible Aug. 21, and prosecutors told the court they expect about 35 witnesses and have summoned roughly 80 potential jurors.
- The judge has previously excluded other Durk lyrics and said he may give a limiting instruction, a decision that highlights the broader legal tension over when artistic expression may be treated as evidence of intent in criminal cases.