Overview
- Judge Michael Chitty denied the motion for a new trial on Saturday, leaving Anthony’s June murder conviction and 35-year sentence intact.
- Anthony’s lawyers told the two-day post-trial hearing that an unwritten “gentleman’s agreement” and last‑minute disputes over it coerced Anthony into not testifying and deprived him of a full defense.
- Prosecutors told the court there was no agreement barring testimony and defended strict courtroom rules as necessary to protect the proceedings from threats, misinformation and witness intimidation.
- The hearing revealed previously withheld background material on both teens, including violent and threatening texts attributed to Anthony and allegations about Austin Metcalf’s prior conduct, which both sides disputed over relevance and disclosure.
- The defense said it will appeal to the Fifth Court of Appeals and possibly higher courts, keeping the case alive as public scrutiny, security measures and race‑charged coverage continue to shape its legal and social fallout.