Israeli Strikes Kill Paramedics and Civilians in Southern Lebanon
Violations of the U.S.-brokered truce risk deepening the humanitarian crisis by damaging hospitals and targeting rescue teams.
Overview
- Israeli air and drone strikes on May 23 killed at least 11 people, including multiple paramedics, rescuers and a child, and wounded others in southern Lebanon.
- Lebanon’s Health Ministry said a strike near the government hospital in Tebnine caused heavy damage and wounded nine hospital staff, including five women.
- Local reports said strikes hit emergency centers in Hannawiyah and villages near Tyre and Nabatieh where rescuers were evacuating casualties when they were attacked.
- Hezbollah said it launched retaliatory operations against Israeli forces and fired a surface-to-air missile at an Israeli drone over the Beqaa region in response to the strikes.
- Lebanese authorities report nearly 3,100 dead since March and widespread displacement, and the repeated violations show U.S.-brokered diplomacy has so far failed to stop attacks or protect civilians.