Overview
- Israeli naval forces boarded multiple Global Sumud vessels on Monday near Cyprus, with livestreams from activists ending as troops climbed aboard about 250 nautical miles from Gaza.
- Organizers said the convoy left Marmaris, Turkey, last week with more than 50 boats carrying hundreds of people from dozens of countries, and they reported losing contact with several vessels during the operation.
- Israel said it would not allow a breach of its Gaza blockade, labeled the mission a provocation linked to the IHH and past Mavi Marmara organizers, and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised the forces carrying out the interceptions.
- Turkey denounced the seizures as piracy, while Cyprus said it was not notified in advance and its search‑and‑rescue center reported no distress calls from the area.
- The flotilla follows an April interception near Crete that led to detentions and deportations, with this latest attempt again highlighting Gaza access disputes, ongoing detainee processing expected in Ashdod, and the presence of at least 15 Irish participants noted by RTÉ.