Particle.news
Download on the App Store

Hartlepool Man Jailed for Manslaughter After Frenzied Axe Attack on Friend

The judge imposed 16 years in custody plus five years on extended licence after finding the attack involved multiple axe blows and posed a significant future risk.

Overview

  • The attack, which took place on November 23 last year, left 22-year-old Mohammed Shaan Ali Rasul dead after he was bludgeoned in a Hartlepool flat.
  • Judge Francis Laird KC told the court the defendant struck Rasul about a dozen times to the head and face, with ten blows delivered by a hand axe, and convicted Callum Howe of manslaughter rather than murder.
  • Howe was sentenced to 16 years in prison with a further five years on extended licence and must serve a two-thirds custodial minimum before the Parole Board can consider release.
  • A Home Office pathologist concluded Rasul died from blunt-force head injuries and prosecutors said a prolonged binge on cocaine, cannabis and pregabalin with sleep deprivation helped trigger the violence.
  • Rasul’s family delivered an emotional impact statement in court describing lasting trauma and the police said the sentence may bring some closure while Howe’s violent behaviour after the attack — stumbling covered in blood and having to be restrained — featured in trial evidence.