Particle.news
Download on the App Store

Harry and Meghan’s Australia Trip Draws 35,000-Name Petition as Officials Disown Security Role

The dispute highlights unresolved security plans for a private, pay-to-attend tour during a cost-of-living squeeze.

Overview

  • The online campaign, which topped 35,000 signatures on Wednesday, urges no taxpayer funding for security, logistics or any official help.
  • A Sussex spokesperson said the visit is privately funded and dismissed the petition’s premise as a moot point.
  • The Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet and Home Affairs said they have no involvement, and federal police would not discuss protection, leaving crowd-control and transit costs unclear.
  • The program is commercial, with Meghan set to headline a three-day Her Best Life retreat in Sydney priced near $3,000 and Harry expected at Melbourne’s InterEdge summit, where organisers are covering his travel and lodging.
  • The retreat’s promoter, The Gemmie Agency, went into liquidation last year owing more than AU$540,000 to the tax office, and Harry’s 2025 court loss over UK police protection shapes expectations that Australia will not provide state-backed security.