Particle.news
Download on the App Store

Guest Sues Shanghai Disneyland Over Staff Inaction After Smoking Dispute

The suit says staff failed to stop an April assault that police later mediated with a 10,000-yuan payment.

Overview

  • In April, a 24-year-old visitor who asked another guest to stop smoking was punched near Disneytown, taken to hospital for soft-tissue contusions, and the attack was captured on video.
  • Local police handled the immediate case through public-security mediation in which the alleged attacker, identified as Xu, apologized and paid Zhang 10,000 yuan under a signed agreement.
  • The injured guest, identified only by his surname Zhang in Chinese media, rejected a pre-litigation offer he says included verbal apologies and 'VIP cards' and filed a civil lawsuit against Shanghai Disneyland on Aug. 22, 2026 seeking a written apology and coverage of litigation costs.
  • Zhang’s complaint centers on his claim that cast members did not intervene as the confrontation escalated, despite reports that a female cast member had earlier warned the smoker not to light up.
  • Shanghai Disney Resort has kept designated smoking areas and tightened rules in May 2025 by reducing locations and installing more than 2,800 'No Smoking' signs, and the lawsuit raises questions about how those rules are enforced and whether park staff have a legal duty to stop guest-on-guest violence.