Particle.news
Download on the App Store

Gather Round Draws Record 270,018 as AFL Holds Off on Adelaide Deal

AFL will review economic data before any medium-term deal.

Overview

  • The festival drew 270,018 fans over four days, the state said Monday, as talks on a new hosting agreement continue.
  • AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon said the league will study the economic results before committing and offered no timeline for a decision.
  • Hotels and pubs near Adelaide Oval reported higher occupancy and double-digit gains in food and drink sales compared with last year.
  • Calls to include women’s games grew louder, with Crows star Ebony Marinoff calling the omission a missed chance and Dillon noting off‑season timing as a hurdle under review.
  • Fixture equity and future format questions persist, as Brisbane coach Chris Fagan urged fairer access to Adelaide Oval and Tasmania’s 2028 entry would create an odd number of teams that complicates a single-round festival.