Overview
- Robbie Fowler told reporters on Wednesday that the current Liverpool squad is not strong enough to challenge for the Premier League and called for more depth so starters face real competition.
- The Reds have made only two first-team signings so far, Victor Munoz and Jeremy Jacquet, leaving gaps after the exits of Mohamed Salah, Ibrahima Konate and Andy Robertson.
- Injuries have compounded the problem with Liverpool currently lacking any senior centre-backs available and thin cover on the right wing and right-back.
- New head coach Andoni Iraola has identified a winger and possibly a right-sided defender as priorities for the transfer window and Fowler said he is very confident the club will bring in more players.
- The shortage matters because Liverpool will juggle four competitions this season and the club's sporting director and owners face pressure to deliver reinforcements quickly to protect fitness, tactics and leadership on the pitch.