Overview
- The shooting in San Pedro Square, which police said occurred on Sunday, June 28, left one person dead at the scene and a second person hospitalized with life‑threatening injuries.
- San Jose Police have opened a homicide investigation, closed several surrounding streets, and posted victim status updates on their official X account while reporting no arrests or motive so far.
- Authorities and local businesses closed most bars in the area and cordoned off the fan zone after the attack, and police said no World Cup match was being shown at the time of the shooting.
- The incident could prompt stepped‑up policing and temporary suspension or tighter controls of public viewing sites for upcoming fixtures, including the U.S. round‑of‑16 match on July 2.
- Reporters place the San Jose attack in a wider pattern of violence near World Cup gatherings earlier in June, including separate shootings in Kansas City and a body found in Tijuana.