Particle.news
Download on the App Store

Congo Reports At Least 200 Dead in Rubaya Coltan Mine Collapse as M23 Rejects Toll

Conflicting accounts hinder verification of casualties at a rebel-held site central to global tantalum supply.

Overview

  • The collapse occurred Tuesday at the Rubaya mines in eastern Congo, which have been under M23 control since May 2024.
  • A senior M23 official denied a landslide, blamed bombings, and said roughly five people died.
  • A local miner said he helped recover more than 200 bodies and alleged mine owners are blocking disclosure of the full toll.
  • The U.S. Geological Survey estimates Congo produced about 40% of the world’s coltan in 2023, with Rubaya providing over 15% of global tantalum.
  • A United Nations report says M23 has taxed coltan trade from Rubaya for at least $800,000 per month, and a similar regional collapse last month killed more than 200.