Overview
- The Bexar County district attorney’s office dismissed the aggravated‑assault charge against former San Antonio officer James Brennand on Monday and said the case may be refiled after further investigation.
- Prosecutors had asked Judge Joel Perez for a short delay to investigate new allegations about the prosecution’s key witness and the judge denied that request before the dismissal.
- San Antonio police opened an investigation of a July 1 incident in which a woman told officers that Erik Cantu threatened her, displayed a pocketknife and may have referred to a gun; that probe is ongoing and no charges have been filed on that allegation.
- Cantu, who was 17 when he was shot in October 2022, has had multiple legal encounters since then including a June deferred‑adjudication plea on a burglary charge and a reported arrest on an evading‑arrest charge after the dismissal.
- Brennand’s defense has asserted his speedy‑trial rights and sought subpoenas for the district attorney and representatives of the Wren Collective to probe potential outside communications, a dispute that could resurface if prosecutors refile charges.