Particle.news
Download on the App Store

Billy Porter Says He Hasn’t Been Invited to the Met Gala Since His 2019 Debut

His disclosure spotlights the event’s opaque, Vogue-run guest list during a Bezos-backed year.

Overview

  • Porter, speaking on SiriusXM’s Bevelations on Wednesday, said he has not received an invitation since 2019 and will skip the May 4, 2026 gala.
  • He noted his lone invite came from producer Ryan Murphy in 2019, when he made a viral entrance in a gold, Egyptian‑inspired look carried on a platform.
  • He added he was not asked to last year’s edition focused on Black dandyism and said he does not go to places where he is not welcome.
  • He framed the snub as a matter of self-worth and said he no longer seeks outside validation for career milestones.
  • Invitations to the Met Gala are curated by Vogue and its chair Anna Wintour and can also come via fashion brands that buy tables, while this year’s benefit features co-chairs Beyoncé, Nicole Kidman and Venus Williams and lead sponsors Jeff and Lauren Sánchez Bezos amid ongoing boycott calls.