Overview
- Bayern said Sunday that Manuel Neuer must reduce his workload due to a left calf muscle problem, leaving his DFB-Pokal final status uncertain.
- Despite retiring after Euro 2024, multiple reports say Neuer agreed to rejoin Germany and was listed on the provisional 55-man submission to FIFA.
- Nagelsmann declined to confirm Neuer’s selection and noted the preliminary list will not be published, with the final 26-man squad due on May 21.
- Former stars including Lothar Matthäus, Oliver Kahn and Stefan Effenberg criticized the handling and warned it undercuts Oliver Baumann, who had been told he was No. 1.
- Marc-André ter Stegen’s thigh surgery removed the expected successor from contention, while Bayern extended Neuer through 2027 and signaled a club pecking order that leaves Alexander Nübel out of future plans.