Particle.news
Download on the App Store

Avatar Franchise Confronts Game 'Reset' and Stolen Film

Conflicting studio and creator statements leave the AAA Avatar RPG's status unclear ahead of promised San Diego Comic-Con updates.

Overview

  • A completed Avatar feature was stolen and leaked online earlier this year, triggering vendor and security investigations while Paramount has kept the film's Paramount+ release date for October 9.
  • Paramount Games publicly told reporters the Saber Interactive–developed AAA Avatar action‑RPG was canceled, but co‑creator Bryan Konietzko said the project suffered a major 'reset' rather than an outright death.
  • Konietzko posted about the setback and said fans should expect official news at San Diego Comic‑Con, a statement reported by multiple outlets on Wednesday that directly contradicts the studio's cancellation claim.
  • Avatar Legends: The Fighting Game received positive hands‑on previews and is confirmed to launch on July 23, offering a nearer-term release in contrast to the disputed AAA title.
  • Ongoing corporate moves at Paramount Skydance, including a major acquisition and talk of selling assets, add uncertainty about which studio will control and finish high‑profile Avatar projects.