Particle.news
Download on the App Store

Argentina Says It Expelled 14,000 Foreigners in Six Months

The security ministry says stepped-up border controls plus urban biometric checks are intended to remove people with criminal records or irregular migration status

Overview

  • The Ministry of Security published a video on Tuesday in which Minister Alejandra Monteoliva announced that 14,000 foreigners were expelled over the past six months.
  • Officials say the expulsions target people with criminal records, Interpol red notices, legal impediments to entry, extradited suspects and those who entered or stayed irregularly.
  • Authorities say the increase follows stepped-up controls at airports, ports and land crossings and federal operations that use portable biometric devices and database matches.
  • A federal raid at the Villa Celina market identified 458 people, of whom 369 were foreign nationals, found 16 in irregular status, seized 70 phones and counterfeit goods and led a judge in Morón to order four detentions.
  • The government frames the campaign as part of a wider security push that accelerated from about 5,000 expulsions reported earlier this year and could reshape how migrants and informal commerce are policed.