Particle.news
Download on the App Store

Anzac Hall Opens in Canberra as Ben Roberts‑Smith Misses Unveiling

Reported illness and court‑approved bail conditions have left the memorial defending displays linked to the charged Victoria Cross holder.

Overview

  • The Australian War Memorial officially opened its new atrium and Anzac Hall on Tuesday, June 23, 2026, showcasing larger galleries on Afghanistan, the Middle East and peacekeeping operations.
  • Ben Roberts‑Smith, a Victoria Cross recipient charged earlier this year with five counts of alleged war‑crime murder, did not attend the unveiling after sources said he was struck down with gastro.
  • A court earlier in June granted a bail variation allowing Roberts‑Smith to attend but barred him from discussing the cases or speaking to specific people, restrictions that shaped planning for the event.
  • The Memorial continues to display an image and a uniform linked to Roberts‑Smith and has revised explanatory plaques as his civil and criminal matters progressed, which the institution says is part of its role in recording history.
  • The Anzac Hall opening is part of a long‑running redevelopment funded with more than $550 million that will add over 5,000sqm of gallery space by 2028 and has intensified public debate about how contested military histories are presented.